Tuesday 10 January 2012

Conclusions on the Series


So, in the words of Mr. Eagleton: ‘after theory…’

Prior to starting the course I looked forward to these sessions, as up to this point in my time of study as an architectural student, I had, ashamedly, read very little in the way of architectural theory.  Not really sure what they would involve, I was pleasantly surprised to find out just how much the texts related to the modern capitalist society we live in today, and in particular, the financial crisis that threatens its very existence. Before I move on to say what I drew from these sessions, I’d like to say that not only did I enjoy writing the blogs more than I had expected the way in which Paul Davies presented the sessions to us was fantastic. I’d even go so far as to say that it made me look forward to a Friday afternoon lecture! (Incidentally, this is not a desperate cry for marks…I really did enjoy each and every session!)

I have long been of the opinion that architecture is a fundamentally important aspect in the world we live in and was a firm advocate that the social and political value it has in the world has become undervalued in recent years. I’d like to think that this came through in the blogs, as all of the pieces we looked at sparked and fuelled these sentiments (apologies if a little frantically and hap-hazardly at times).  I’ve expressed some fairly dogged opinions over the past couple of months, so I believe it’s important to realise that theory doesn’t necessarily aim to give you definite answers, but instead map out the means in which to question the way in which we operate.  Things are often not as clear cut as they seem.

It was fascinating to see the repeating themes come through in books and articles written across a time period of almost a hundred years. Once you get past the language barrier involved, and understand the point of view and social context each is written in, the similarities are almost endless. Whether it is the irrational belief and inability to explain your actions as an architect (Roark-Wright-Zaha), the evolution and perceived importance of celebrity culture (Valentino-Lady Gaga) and most importantly the overriding tragedy of development and pursuit of greed that has been an underlying current throughout the writing of all of these works, which is coming to a crux today.

At the risk of repeating myself, what this element of the course has got me to do is expand my horizons a lot more. As I said, some of the questions brought up throughout this course about the problem of the capitalist society, the selfishness of the individual that often leads to the ignorance of the masses, the manipulation of celebrity culture in the mass media and the tragedy of development are things that I have often questioned in the past. Importantly, immersing myself in the theory of these issues has allowed me access an understanding to these matters and opinions that has enabled me to gain some foundation of knowledge to back them up.
I don’t pretend to be enlightened by a couple of months of reading, and if you were to ask me to solve the financial crisis I wouldn’t be able to give you an answer. What is important is being able to express an opinion in the pursuit of truth in such a way that others may listen or read on in the knowledge that they too will be stimulated to do the same. After all, it’s what I hope to do for the rest of my life. Coherently and clearly expressing my views and designs, confidently and with the best intent to create architecture fit for its purpose on all levels.

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my ramblings on the subjects; I’ve enjoyed writing them, and look to continue reading some of these texts again as well as continuing this blog.
Here’s to a successful architectural career........not too successful mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment